The Blue Review rose out of the ashes of
the bankrupt magazine Rhythm. The cover was very similar
in style, but the wonderful black and white prints and woodblocks
that had made Rhythm so popular, were missing. Katherine
Mansfield and John Middleton Murry managed to find a new
publisher, but couldn’t make enough from advertising
or sales to keep the Review going. It lasted for only 3
First Issue of The Blue Review, contained stories, poetry
and reviews by Gilbert Cannan, Katherine Mansfield, Hugh
Walpole, D.H. Lawrence, W.H. Davies, Walter de la Mare,
and artwork by Max Beerbohm.
Second Issue, as above plus Frank Swinnerton, Edward Marsh,
J.D. Beresford and James Elroy Flecker. There’s a
frontispiece by Stanley Spencer and drawings by Frances
Jennings, J.D. Innes, and G.S. Lightfoot.
July 1913 The Third Issue also included
work by Rupert Brooke and Yone Noguchi, plus a single cartoon
by X Marcel Boulestin.